The Importance of Sentence Revision
I need help to correct my sentence is a common request from students and others who write. There are many grammar rules to be followed when writing in English and it isn’t always easy to remember them all. An English sentences corrector is a useful writing tool that can provide valuable assistance during the revision process and help you fix sentence errors.
Every sentence you write should be free of grammar mistakes and convey your message in the best way possible. Sentence revision is the part of the writing process where you eliminate mistakes in grammar and punctuation. It is also when you ensure that your sentence communicates the message that you intended. Even the best writers don’t produce perfect text during the first draft and have to revise their work. A well revised paper that is free of mistakes is easier for the reader to understand and will also be more likely to hold their attention.
Revision isn’t just about getting rid of any technical mistakes in your writing. It also involves using the best words to convey your meanings. There are times it will even be necessary to completely reformulate a sentence to communicate your message in a better way. Many people have difficulty with sentence revision. If you are one of those who are encountering problems during the revision process you can correct and rearrange sentences online using free writing editor software.
How Do I Correct My Sentence and Make Improvements?
During the revision process you have the opportunity to fix mistakes and make improvements to the sentences in your paper. There are a number of common grammar mistakes you can check for and a variety of ways you can make your sentences better. Here are some guidelines to follow to help you enhance your sentences.
- Check that the sentence is complete. To be a complete sentence there must be a subject, a verb and a complete thought must be expressed. If one of these elements is missing it is a fragment or incomplete sentence.
- Are you using active or passive voice? Although passive voice is not technically incorrect it is generally better to use active voice. Active voice is more concise and better at holding the reader’s attention.
- Make sure sentences are concise and get directly to the point. Don’t use 20 words when you can say the same thing using only 10. Avoid sentences that ramble and get directly to the point you are trying to make.
- Vary your sentence length and structure. This may seem at odds with the last point of keeping sentences concise. However, the length of sentences should vary and you should change up the structure of sentences to keep your text from sounding choppy and to avoid boring the reader. Longer sentences can be okay as long as they still get to the point and don’t ramble.
- Watch out for run on sentences. Comma splices and fused sentences are types of run on sentences and occur when two independent clauses are combined incorrectly. Make sure independent clauses are joined using the appropriate punctuation or with coordinating conjunctions.
- Eliminate unnecessary words. Every word in a sentence should serve a specific purpose. Words that are just being used as filler should be removed from your text.
- Avoid using jargon and unnecessarily complicated words. In some cases, only a complicated word or field-specific jargon will work but unless absolutely necessary avoid their use.
- Don’t overuse adverbs. Adverbs are used to modify verbs and are often employed by writers to make their text more descriptive. However, it is usually better to use a stronger verb than to modify a weaker verb with an adverb.
- Keep verb tense consistent. Don’t change verb tenses in mid-sentence. Use the same verb tense for the entire sentence.
- Beware of noun/pronoun disagreement. These types of mistakes occur most often when the pronoun being used doesn’t agree with the number of nouns. The noun being referred to by the pronoun is referred to as the antecedent. If the antecedent is plural then the pronoun should be plural and if the antecedent is singular the pronoun should be singular.
- Keep an eye on subject/verb agreement. Subjects and verbs must agree with each other in number. When the subject of a sentence is singular then the verb should also be singular. If the subject is plural the verb form used must be plural.
- Check for misplaced modifiers. Misplaced modifiers, or dangling modifiers as they are sometimes referred to, are modifying words or phrases where it is unclear what noun it is they should be attached to.
- Check your punctuation. Make sure your sentence is punctuated correctly. Some of the most frequently misused punctuation marks are the comma, the semicolon and the apostrophe.
Sentence Proofreading Checklist
The following is a checklist you can follow to help you revise and improve your sentences:
Frankly, it can be a little overwhelming when you start checking every sentence in a paper for all of the above points. If you are unsure how to check whether the sentence is right or wrong it can appear to be an impossible task. You may want to consider using our paragraph changer as it can make the task much more manageable. Using our website that makes your sentences better will save you a lot of time and improve your writing.
About Our Sentence Analyzer
Is there a tool I can use to fix my sentence online? Our sentence correction app is just such a tool and you will find it extremely useful during the revision process. The sentence improver detects multiple types of sentence problems and mistakes. Once errors and issues with sentences have been identified the sentence reconstruction tool recommends corrections and adjustments you can make to fix the problems. Our sentence builder online tool is both fast and accurate. It can perform a complete sentence restructure online in a matter of seconds to ensure you communicate your message as effectively as possible all while saving you hours of revision time. The following are the different types of mistakes and issues our sentence enhancer identifies and corrects:
- Grammar corrector: our sentence improver detects and corrects numerous types of grammar mistakes. Grammar errors it detects and fixes include run on sentences, sentence fragments, noun/pronoun agreement, verb tense issues, subject/verb agreement, misplaced modifiers and many other grammar mistakes.
- Punctuation checker: the sentence corrector detects and corrects all types of punctuation mistakes in your sentences
- Word usage: the vocabulary enhancement tool detects wrong word usage and recommends the appropriate word to fit your text and ensure your message says what you want it to.
- Spelling checker: finds all spelling errors and provides the correct spelling for misspelled words
- Passive and active voice detector: our smart sentence generator detects whether you are using active or passive voice. It also recommends adjustments you can make if you want to change the voice in your text.
- Tone checker: identifies the tone of your text and recommends changes you can make to strike the appropriate tone
- Text similarity checker: the complicated sentence generator identifies duplicate text and text that is to similar. It can restructure and rewrite sentences to avoid plagiarism issues
Whether you have comma splice issues, punctuation problems are some other type of mistake our sentence combiner will find it and recommend the appropriate correction quickly and effectively. This writing enhancer tool works with any type of text including academic papers, blog posts, business letters, articles or any other type of text you need to revise. This makes it the ideal revision tool for students, writers, freelancers, business people or anybody who is called upon to write from time to time.
Just because it performs many functions doesn’t mean our sentence analyzer is difficult to use. Follow these simple steps to analyze and correct your text:
- Enter your text: copy and paste your text into the provided field
- Start the analyzing process: click the button to begin the analysis process
- Receive your report: within one minute or less you will be shown clearly any errors and issues with your text. This includes recommended corrections for you to make
- Complete the suggested corrections
That easily you can find and correct any mistakes and problems in your paper.